*The following process also applies to Ukrainian nationals that have been rejected and haven’t obtained the Temporary Protection status.
You can use this article to learn more about the Residence Permit in Greece, including:
How can you apply for a Residence Permit
- What documents will you need
- Information about Residence Permit card
Residence Permit card
Your Residence Permit does not give you the right to Travel outside of Greece
With a Residence Permit, you have the right to:
- Stay legally in Greece until your card expires
- Apply for renewal when your card expires
- Move freely throughout Greece
- Get health care
- Send your children to Greek public schools
- Attend a public evening school
- Get a Greek social security number
How you can apply for a Residence Permit for the first time - the procedure
You can apply for a Residence Permit when granted refugee status or subsidiary protection in Greece. You can apply right away. The procedure for issuing a residence permit (for a recognized refugee or beneficiary of subsidiary protection) is as follows:
As soon as you are recognized with the status of a refugee or beneficiary of a subsidiary, you will receive the decision to issue an ADET (residence permit). In most cases, the decision to issue an ADET will be given to you simultaneously with your international protection decision. If that does not happen, you should regularly ask the Regional Asylum Office responsible for your case.
- If you live in Thessaloniki, you will receive it immediately.
- If you are on the islands, the ADET decision will possibly be delivered along with the international protection decision. You should regularly ask at the Regional Asylum Office of the island in any other case.
- Suppose you have been transferred to another area, and the Regional Asylum Office close to you is other than the one that issued the recognition decision. In that case, you should go to the nearest Regional Asylum Office and explain that you have been transferred while waiting to receive the decision. You will receive the decision from the nearest Regional Asylum Office to the place of your residence.
Once you receive the decision to issue a residence permit from the Regional Asylum Office, you must make an appointment with the police department.
During your appointment, you will give the following:
- your fingerprints
- Four passport photos
- the above decision to issue a residence permit
- a photocopy of the asylum card
Then you will have to wait 3-4 months for the residence permit to be issued, which you will receive from the Regional Asylum Office responsible for your case. You can check if your residence permit is ready online at the asylum service site.
A Residence Permit:
- It is valid for three years if you are granted refugee status.
- It is valid for one year if you are granted subsidiary protection.
The residence permit duration is indicated in the decision to issue ADET.
Until your Residence Permit is issued, you will get a stamp on your Full Registration card that says, “Residence Permit is pending” («ΕΚΚΡΕΜΕΙ ΑΔΕΙΑ ΔΙΑΜΟΝΗΣ»).
This will be your temporary Residence Permit.
Find how to renew your Residence Permit here.
Find all the details you need on Residence Permits in your language here.