If you have academic or other qualifications, but no documents to prove it, an experimental program may be able to help you.
The Greek Ministry of Education and the Council of Europe are running a pilot program to test a new document called the European Qualifications Passport for Refugees.
Find out more about the document, and how to get one, below.
About the European Qualifications Passport for Refugees
What can the European Qualifications Passport for Refugees do for me?
This document, which is valid for 5 years, can help you show that:
- You have studied.
- You have attended vocational training.
- You know a foreign language.
- You have work experience.
You can use the European Qualifications Passport for Refugees as a kind of verified CV, and it may help you apply for professional and educational opportunities in European countries.
What can't it do?
The European Qualifications Passport for Refugees does not replace official documents.
Greek public universities, and other European institutions that require official documents, will not accept it as a substitute.
Can I use this European Qualifications Passport for Refugees in other countries?
Throughout Europe, this document should be accepted as a “reliable statement” about your academic qualifications — especially in Greece, Norway and the U.K.
Norway and the U.K. already have similar programs.
When you get your European Qualifications Passport for Refugees, a National Academic Recognition Information Centre in Italy will store it electronically for all National Academic Recognition Information Centres in Europe to access.
If you move to another European country, you should contact the National Academic Recognition Information Centre there, the European Council advises.
Show them your European Qualifications Passport for Refugees and ask how it can help you in your new country.
The pilot program
How is the Greek Ministry of Education testing the European Qualifications Passport for Refugees?
The Greek Ministry of Education is running a pilot program developed by the Council of Europe that will last until 2021.
Through the pilot program, evaluators from Greece, Italy, Norway and the U.K. review refugees' qualifications.
If the evaluators decide you provided enough information to prove your qualifications, they will issue you the European Qualifications Passport for Refugees. Your new document will list your qualifications.
How do I apply?
You should send an email to email@example.com that includes:
- Your name
- A statement that you want to apply for the European Qualifications Passport for Refugees
- Your phone number and email address
- A copy of your Pre-Registration Card, Full-Registration Card, or Residence Permit
- A questionnaire that you have to fill out
The questionnaire exists in English, Arabic and French. You can download it here in English, here in Arabic, here in French.
To fill out the questionnaire:
- Download it.
- Fully answer every question.
- Add a passport-type photo.
- Save the file, attach your questionnaire to an email and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have trouble filling in the questionnaire on a computer file, you can:
- Print it out.
- Answer every question.
- Scan all the pages of your completed questionnaire, in a single file.
- Attach your questionnaire to an email and send it to email@example.com.
If you have any documentation (for example, a degree certificate, transcript, graduation diploma, student ID, thesis, research work or CV), attach it to the email, too.
Don't worry if you don't have any documents — you don't need any to apply.
Who are the interviewers?
You will be interviewed by two qualified and experienced evaluators online.
- One will be an expert from the Greek Ministry of Education.
- The other will be an education expert who speaks either Arabic or Dari/Farsi, depending on your language, and who understands the education system in your home country.
What will the interview be like?
The Council of Europe says the interview will be like a friendly conversation. It will be 45 to 60 minutes long and it will be online.
How will I know if my interview was a success?
You will immediately know whether you will receive a European Qualifications Passport for Refugees. If your interview is successful, your document will be issued 5 to 10 days later.
*Photos: Council of Europe