Below you will find your options according to your age, the level of your Greek language and your interest.

Are you over 15 years old and you want to go to a school in Greece?

  • Vocational high school (EPAL): To be eligible, you need to be over the age of 16, employed, or an adult. Classes focus on Technology and Services and take place in the evenings or mornings. After 4 years of studies, you will get a Vocational Lyceum Graduation Certificate. There are reception classes in these schools.
  • Lyceum (GEL): Lyceum school starts in mid-September and ends in mid-June. Lessons end in late May so that the students can study for their examinations in June. Admitted students can have a maximum age of up to 20-year-old and must have Gymnasium Certificate or Lower Secondary Education School Certificate or its international equivalent. The Evening Lyceum (Εσπερινό) is for both adult students and underage working students and lasts 3 years since 2020–2021 academic year. After having completed the 3rd grade, the graduates of the Lyceum are awarded the "Απολυτήριο Λυκείου" qualification (Apolytirio Lykeiou). There are reception classes in these schools.
  • OAED Apprenticeship School (EPAS): This is a 2-year vocational school where you get technical training, you get paid and you are insured. To enrol, you must be 16 to 23 years old and have completed at least one year of upper secondary education in Greece in a Lyceum or an EPAL. There are morning and evening classes, depending on the school. The admission period is usually during the summer. A committee will examine your application and take into account not only your previous school grades but also your social and financial situation, prioritising students who are more vulnerable and don’t have a stable and secure family income. EPAS schools are managed by the Greek employment authority, OAED, where you can ask for more information. You can find your closest OAED office on this database here (in Greek). There are no reception classes in these schools. This means that, if you get accepted, you will need to speak at least some Greek to be able to attend courses.

If you are 18+:

  • Second chance schools: You can enrol in this type of school if you are above the age of 18 and haven’t finished secondary education. Courses taught are Greek language, Mathematics, English, Computers, Physics, Culture, and Arts. Classes take place in the evening and you complete school after 2 years of studies. More information and contacts for all second-chance schools in Greece are available here.
  • The Evening Lyceum (Εσπερινό) is for both adult students and underage working students (see the second option above).

There are no reception classes in these schools. This means that, if you get accepted, you will need to speak at least some Greek to be able to attend courses.

What documents do I need?

The documents you will need to have are:

  • Your Registration card or a Residence Permit.
  • Proof of residence. (If you live in a private apartment, you can take an electricity bill as proof of address. If you live in a camp or urban accommodation provided by an NGO, your camp or apartment managers should provide proof of address for you. 
  • Your tax number (AFM), and access codes for the online TAXISnet platform.

Some schools may ask for additional documents. The registration process differs from school to school and changes quite often, so it’s better to go to the school of your choice fist and ask specifically what other documents you may need to have.

How can I enrol?

The enrollment process also varies from school to school. Application procedures can be quite complex and places are limited. Greek students also find it difficult to find a place since there are only a few vocational schools across Greece.

Online resources

Apps that help you study academic subjects

  • Coursera is an online learning platform with courses ranging from maths, physics, and computer science to social science and language learning. Most courses are free, but to get a certificate of completion, you may need to pay.
  • Kiron aims helps refugees and asylum-seekers begin or continue studying at the university level for free. You need to speak intermediate-level English and have regular access to the internet. 

Other online learning platforms include:

You can also search for courses on MOOC.

Free language learning apps Duolingo can teach you many languages’ basic grammar and vocabulary. It has English, Arabic and Farsi interfaces, among others. Memrise is another language-learning website and app that can help you with vocabulary especially. It uses community-generated content. It is also available in English, Arabic and Farsi interfaces. Antura and the Letters uses games and quizzes to keep kids ages 5 to 10 engaged while learning the modern standard Arabic alphabet.

Where can I ask for help?

If you need help with the application or the registration process, you can reach out to an education NGO that you can find on the RI Service Map.


Visit our Service map, to look for services provided to refugees and asylum seekers, such as health services, information and support services, legal services, educational services, women, girls and children’s services etc. For your search, you need to follow the below steps:

  1. In the "Region" tab, you can choose your location area in Greece, such as Attica, Western Macedonia, Crete etc.
  2. In the "City" tab, you can choose your city in the region, such as Athens, Thessaloniki etc.
  3. In the "All Services" tab, you can choose among services such as community centres that provide activities free of charge, legal actors, languages classes for free, public hospitals and social and health services provided by NGO's.



You can also navigate on the map or choose the list view: 

mceclip1.png  mceclip2.png


Please note that the Service Map provides information in English, but you can send us a message on Facebook to direct you to NGOs, service providers and public services according to your needs. 

If you need guidance on which education or career path to follow, you can seek an appointment with a career counselor from an NGO that provides employment support.